Volunteers, check out our new Volunteer Resources page.
Help those who are Blind or have Low Vision:
Volunteering for MABVI is a unique opportunity to volunteer with someone who is blind or visually impaired. Volunteering is usually once a week for 1-2 hours, or once every other week for 1-2 hours.
To be matched with a consumer, prospective volunteers must:
- Complete an online application and choose from a list of tasks you are willing to help with, (volunteers can choose to help with more than one task)
- Take a virtual training
- Complete a Criminal Offender Record Information check
- Have a brief interview with the Volunteer Department Staff
Click here to view MABVI volunteer safety guidelines.
Check out a recent story about our volunteer program on WBZ 1030 NewsRadio:
Below is a list of tasks volunteers can choose to help with, (volunteers must be 18 or under 18 accompanied by a parent/guardian):
- Reading mail, magazines, books, and paperwork
- Writing letters, emails, and filling out forms on paper or online
- Helping with grocery shopping or errands
- Serving as sighted guides for running, walking, the gym, or other fitness activities
Central Massachusetts Only (Must be 18 or older)
Medical escort driver- drivers use their own vehicles and accompany the individual into the doctor’s office as requested. Volunteers are required to sanitize vehicles before and after driving a consumer, wear a mask, and have the consumer sit in the back seat. (See full safety guidelines for details). A small stipend is provided to help cover the gas and mileage costs. Interested in being a medical escort? Complete the inquiry form below and a member of the Worcester team will reach out to you with the next steps.
Ready to make an impact and help a neighbor in need? Complete the inquiry form below and a member of the volunteer team will reach out to you with the next steps.
Volunteer Inquiry Form
If you have specific questions please reach out to the volunteer department:
Eastern MA: Alexandra Maggio at email@example.com
Central and Western MA: Neejaa Edmonds at firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more about adults who are blind or visually impaired in need of sighted volunteers. (this list represents a small percentage of our consumers waiting to be matched, volunteers are not guaranteed to be matched with the people on this list.)